Hi friends! As I promised, I am here today with the recipe of Dabeli. Most of you, I am sure would not have heard about this yummy evening snack. It is dish which is supposed to have originated at Kutch. I do not know much about it, but that is what I have heard of. It happens to be my husband’s favorite. I decided to give it a try and browsed the recipe online. An aunt had shared the recipe with me, but still I followed my routine. I browsed three to four different recipes and came up with my own, based on the ingredients I had at home. Yeah, it always so happens with me that I do not plan before making anything. I just randomly decide and go ahead. So are you ready to run through the recipe, with me? Come on, then, what are you waiting for!
3 packets of Pav (depends on your requirement)
100 gms of Masala Groundnuts
½ kg of Potatoes (boiled and mashed)
2 onions finely chopped
1 tsp Turmeric Powder
1-2 tsp Amchur
1 tsp Chili Powder
2 tbsp Dabeli Masala (I used the readymade Dabeli Masala available in the market)
A pinch of garam masala powder
Salt as per your requirement
1 tsp Jeera
Oil as per your requirement
For the Garlic Chutney
7-8 Kashmiri Chilies (Use Kashmiri chilies if you want the chutney to be bright red)
5-6 pods of Garlic
Water as per the requirement
For the Sweet Chutney
1 bowl Tamarind
1 bowl Dates
½ bowl Jaggery
Water as per requirement
– Dry roast the Kashmiri chilies and garlic for about 2 minutes
– Remove from flame and add little water (sufficient to grind the chutney into a smooth paste)
– Grind it and keep aside.
– Soak the tamarind in water for a while (about 10-15 minutes)
– In the same way, deseed the dates and soak it in water for a while (about 5-10 minutes)
– Mix the two together with little water, add jaggery to it and bring it to boil
– After the mixture cools, grind it. Keep adding water as per the consistency required
– Heat oil in a pan and jeera to it. Fry it until it splutters.
– Add the onions and fry until it becomes transparent
– Add in the mashed potatoes, turmeric, amchur, red chili powder, dabeli masala, garam masala and salt and mix well.
– Finally add the masala groundnuts and mix well and remove from flame
Finally the Dabeli
Now that everything is ready, we can finally make the dabeli.
– Take one piece of Pav, cut across it till the edge. Do not cut the pav fully. Cut it in such a way that you can open it like a book.
– Smear one side of the pav with sweet chutney and the other side with garlic chutney
– Take one spoonful of the stuffing and smear it neatly on the bottom portion
– Sprinkle finely chopped onions and masala groundnuts over it and press the pav tightly
– Dab the pav with butter on both sides and toast it on the tava till golden brown
The yummy and delicious Dabeli is ready to savor on!
Note: You can also add pomegranate to the stuffing. As I didn’t have it readily available at home I did not use it.
I am sure most of you will try it out immediately. Do try it and get back to me with the result of the same.
See you soon..
Till then, Cheers!!!